Does Bulletproof Coffee Break A Fast?
You have likely heard of bulletproof coffee, recently, as it has become a popular way to make coffee. What are the benefits of bulletproof coffee? We will explore these benefits along with what it is and how it is made. Furthermore, we will look at how all of this impacts the result: your freshly brewed cup of coffee. You may be asking yourself how to best incorporate it into your diet. Here you will also find some ideas for incorporating healthy fats into your coffee and making the most of this beverage. Also, for those that intermittently fast, we will look at what fasting is and answer the question “does bulletproof coffee break a fast?”
First, let’s review the health benefits of coffee:
- Coffee is known to help people feel more alert and energized.
- Studies have been done that show improved brain function including general mental function, reaction times, vigilance, mood and memory, all from consuming coffee.
- Because coffee contains caffeine (unless you’re drinking decaf), it is shown to aid in fat burning and improved metabolism. There are studies that show a boosted metabolic rate of 3 to 11% when caffeine is present.
- Coffee contains some essential nutrients including: riboflavin (vitamin B2), pantothenic acid (vitamin B5), manganese and potassium, magnesium and niacin (vitamin B3), phosphorous, thiamine, and folate.
- Studies have revealed that coffee can lower the risk of type 2 diabetes. Coffee drinkers may be less likely to develop this condition by 23 to 67%.
- It is a big source of antioxidants. Many people get more antioxidants from coffee than fruits and vegetables, studies
- Studies also indicate that drinking coffee can lower the risk of liver diseases. One study showed that there was an 84% lower risk of developing cirrhosis in coffee drinkers. Cirrhosis is extensive liver scarring that is caused by liver diseases. Another study showed that there was a lower risk of up to 40% for liver cancer in coffee drinkers. This type of cancer is the leading cause of cancer worldwide. These studies support the theory that drinking coffee may help protect your liver.
- It has been shown to lower the risk of depression. Depression is a mental disorder that can cause intense negative and/or lonely feelings that reduce the quality of life. There are currently about 4.1% of people in the United States battling with criteria that are considered clinical depression. A 2011 study done by Harvard revealed that women were at a lower risk of depression by 20%, when drinking at least 4 cups per day of coffee.
- It has been thought that drinking coffee raises the risk of heart disease but for the most part this is not true. You do want to be careful of how much you consume if you have elevated blood pressure but studies do not support increased risks otherwise. In fact, some studies indicate that there is a 20% lower risk of stroke in coffee drinkers.
There are many health benefits to drinking coffee, as you can see. This is just the beginning of how it can positively impact your health. We started this article talking about bulletproof coffee so let’s dig into that a little bit more next.
what is bulletproof coffee?
Bulletproof coffee is often called fat fueled coffee, rocket fuel latte, fat joe, fatty latte, or keto coffee. They are really all the same thing and will likely have butter and medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) added to them. Then, all of the ingredients will be blended together. What are MCTs? They are a type of fat that is metabolized differently than the longer chain triglycerides. The fatty acids provided by the butter and MCTs enter the bloodstream immediately because they do not need to be processed by the liver. Once in the bloodstream, they are quickly used for energy because they are converted into ketones. The MCTs can help you feel full longer which can minimize the chances of overeating. A few of the other results noted for those that consume bulletproof coffee are: ability to focus, less hunger, more energy and alertness.
One of the most frequently used sources of medium chain triglycerides is coconut oil. There are other oil and powder supplements available. For example Top Notch Nutrition’s collagen protein could be added to your coffee. Success was found by combining 100% hydrolyzed marine collagen, avocado powder, pure C8/C10 medium-chain triglyceride (MCT) oil powder and grass fed butter powder. Having the healthy fats incorporated into this product allows your body to use that for energy on a ketogenic (keto) diet. There are no artificial sweeteners, coloring, chemicals or binding agents. This product is a great way to make bulletproof coffee!
how can you incorporate coffee on keto?
Bulletproof coffee can be incorporated easily into a keto diet. Remember that keto is a high fat, moderate protein, low carbohydrate diet. This diet encourages your body to use fat for energy instead of carbohydrates. You can increase the health benefits of coffee above and beyond those that we’ve already discussed. You can do this simply by adding the healthy fats that were mentioned above. This can also help you balance the macronutrients in your diet, especially if you need more fat in your diet. You will look forward to your fat fueled coffee in the morning! It’s so tasty and has so many benefits. Intermittent fasting is common for those partaking in the keto diet, so we will look at that next. Then we will answer the question, “does bulletproof coffee break a fast?”
Fasting has been around for thousands of years. Intermittent fasting, by definition, is an eating pattern where you cycle between periods of fasting and eating. The most common way to fast is by skipping breakfast and having an eating window during your day. Your body will adjust to your fasting, and you will find yourself not being nearly as hungry as you used to be. The good thing is, most of your fast is completed while you are sleeping. The 16/8 method is the most popular (and in our option the best) method for intermittent fasting. This is an eight hour window of eating and 16 hours of fasting. When you eat larger meals in your window of time for eating, you will notice you won’t be consuming the “snack calories,” which is often one of the reasons why people gain weight and can’t figure out why. Ideally, you will want to have your meal window be between 12 pm – 8 pm, which is a 16 hour fast. This might seem difficult, but you’ll be amazed how much your appetite can change. We encourage you to test this out, see if it works for you. We recognize that fasting is not for everyone, and if you have concerns, definitely consult with your healthcare professional!
Health Benefits of Intermittent Fasting:
- Powerful weight loss tool
- Increase metabolic rate
- Lower insulin levels
- Increased growth hormone levels (HGH) which has benefits of gaining muscle and increasing fat loss
- Lower chronic inflammation
- Improve heart health
- Improved focus and brain health
- Anti-aging properties
- Protect against type 2 diabetes
- Improved fitness and enhanced fat burning
With all of these benefits of intermittent fasting, you might be wondering “does bulletproof coffee break a fast?” We will start out by saying that the keto diet and intermittent fasting are like peanut butter and jelly. They work really well together, and if you can properly utilize these two, you will notice benefits, energy, and mental clarity like you’ve never experienced before. Next let’s look closer at breaking your fast.
does bulletproof coffee break a fast?
Generally speaking, we use the rule that consuming anything over 50 calories will break your fast. Most bulletproof coffee recipes will exceed this caloric recommendation. One good option would be to use ½ scoop of Top Notch’s collagen protein mentioned above. The serving size is one scoop which contains 91 calories, no sugar, 6 grams of fat, 1 gram net carbs and 10 grams of protein. With that being said, when you are fasting, we highly encourage you to start drinking fat fueled coffee in the morning as your first “meal.” It is loaded with fats among countless other benefits, so you will notice that you feel full and satisfied with just your morning drink. If you drink fat fueled coffee, you may notice it is an easy task to fast until noon. You may even find yourself not very hungry when lunchtime rolls around!
health benefits of coffee and keto
It is important to watch for the quality of coffee. Make sure you choose coffee that has been harvested and roasted for the best consistency and freshness. Let’s look at Top Notch Nutrition Coffee, which is an excellent choice for making bulletproof coffee. It is air roasted in small batches to ensure the highest quality, consistency, and freshness. Top Notch coffee will never taste bitter, burnt, or too acidic. In addition to air roasting, Top Notch Nutrition focuses on a few other specifics when it comes to our coffee including:
- We are proud to say that our coffee is 100% ethically sourced straight from farms where the workers are treated well and compensated fairly. Most coffee comes from third world countries and does not always provide good conditions or fairness to the workers. The process of harvesting and producing coffee is very labor intensive. There is so much work to be done for one cup of coffee.
- Top Notch coffee is fair trade organic and it is specialty coffee, which means it is in the top 5% of coffee in the whole world.
- It would be much easier to roast a huge drum full of beans to be more efficient with time and resources. That’s not how we roll at Top Notch Nutrition. We make sure it is the best, even if it takes longer, is more labor intensive, and not as cost effective.
Because our coffee is certified organic there are no harmful pesticides used in its growing, harvesting, or processing. For the most part the grade of coffee we use lends itself to little to no chance of toxins, as they are not naturally found in coffee.
If you’d like to give bulletproof coffee a try, here is a recipe for incorporating healthy fats into your morning beverage!
top notch nutrition coffee blends
The Top Notch Signature Blend: It is named Hometown because this coffee is locally roasted in our hometown of Rapid City, South Dakota. This is a private reserve coffee special to Top Notch Nutrition. It has notes of butter and toasted hazelnut. It is a perfect blend beans that provides a smooth, mild taste that is sure to be enjoyed by all coffee drinkers.
Ethiopia Blend is the current specialty and when it’s gone, it’s gone! There is an amazing story behind this coffee. Do you know how coffee was first discovered? According to an Ethiopian legend, a goat herder named Kaldi noticed that his goats were acting particularly energetic and jumpy after eating berries from a specific tree. Curious about these berries, he tried them out for himself. Kaldi had similar effects, feeling alert and full of energy. He then made a drink from the berries, and there you have it…coffee was born.
Columbia blend is our decaffeinated coffee. We guarantee this will be the best tasting cup of decaf coffee you have ever tried. Traditionally, decaf coffee is stripped of caffeine by chemicals and hot processed, taking out all the positive benefits of coffee. It is also often over roasted or burnt to try and make it somewhat “flavorful” after being stripped with heat and chemicals.
fat fueled coffee
As mentioned above, it can also be called: Bulletproof Coffee, Rocket Fuel Latte, Fat Joe, Fatty Latte, Keto Coffee, etc.
Feel free to make your latte your own. Use a little heavy cream, coconut butter, collagen protein, protein powder, more natural sweetener, less natural sweetener, adjust to your liking! Add a little pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice and little heavy cream to make a decadent Pumpkin Spice Latte. Add in some cocoa butter for a white chocolate latte. Heat up a little heavy cream and stir in powder & stevia drops – blend in with your fat fueled coffee to make a mocha! The possibilities are endless. WARNING: Be careful with MCT’s at the beginning. Start slow as your digestion may not be able to handle it right away.
Before reading this article, you may have been asking yourself “does bulletproof coffee break a fast?” It is important to understand not only the benefits of coffee itself but also the ways you can supplement your nutrition with it such as bulletproof coffee. Choosing the right products to enhance a ketogenic plan can help you create a sustainable diet that will produce results. We truly feel that Top Notch Nutrition’s coffee and collagen protein powder are top choices if you are looking to incorporate the health benefits of bulletproof coffee into your diet.