5 Ways To Protect Your Gut Microbiome
Your gut biome is most often thought of like the bacteria that live in your intestines. Many pieces of your overall health are connected to the health of your gut, which includes these bacteria. Remember that our gut is associated with many processes in the body. It is likely the main component in fighting illness and disease. It helps us digest and absorbs the nutrients that we need for our bodies to function properly. There are things that you can do that can foster good health in your gut biome. Of course, this means that there are also things that can be harmful. What can you do to protect your gut microbiome? We will explore some of the ways that you can encourage a healthy gut biome.
5 ways to protect your gut microbiome
1. Diet – your diet is one of the most impactful ways to protect your gut microbiome. The food that we eat is a huge factor in how healthy our gut is. Inflammatory foods such as processed foods and those with trans fats or sugar can disrupt the balance of bacteria in your gut biome. You want to have a diverse diet that incorporates lots of whole foods (veggies, fruits, etc.) as this nurtures the growth of healthy bacteria. The more diverse your gut flora is the healthier your gut biome will be. Many health problems come from issues in your gut microbiome. You may also want to include prebiotics and probiotics in your diet which can help create balance in the good and bad bacteria within your body.
2. Supplementing – adding supplements to your diet can aid in protecting your gut microbiome.
- As mentioned above, prebiotics and probiotics are beneficial. If you are unable to find enough sources in your diet you can find supplement options for both.
- Another supplement that can help provide a healthy gut is butyric acid. Butyric acid has anti-inflammatory properties when it comes to gut health. It is a short-chain fatty acid which is made in the body when the fiber is fermented by gut bacteria. The cells lining your colon rely on these short-chain fatty acids for energy. Top Notch Nutrition created Keto Magic with Ketoba which is butyric acid coupled with BHBs(which will induce ketogenesis). For this discussion, the main benefit of Ketoba is that it supplements butyric acid and therefore improves your gut microbiome.
- Glutamine is another important supplement for gut health. It is responsible for creating a barrier between your intestines and the rest of the body. It also has a role in normal cell development within the intestines. Glutamine is essential for immune health and remembers that your gut is part of the immune system. A good source of glutamine is Top Notch Nutrition’s Hydrate. As an electrolyte supplement, it has natural ingredients that provide endless benefits to the entire body. Another bonus to this supplement is that you will have improved nutrient absorption due to the electrolytes. This is a win-win in our book!
- Collagen is a protein that is in the connective tissues of the body. Collagen is one of the main components of the cells that create the lining of your gut. Collagen also contains glycine and glutamine which are amino acids that help in digestion and encourage good health of the gut barrier. The health of the intestinal lining is a crucial part of protecting your gut microbiome. You can find both collagen and healthy fats (which are also great for gut health) in Top Notch Nutrition’s Keto Super Collagen Protein. A huge advantage to all of the Top Notch Nutrition supplements is that you can be sure they are high quality and free of any artificial ingredients!
3. Avoid antibiotics – they are designed to kill or slow the growth of bacterial infections. The problem with this is that antibiotics will generally harm the beneficial bacteria within your gut microbiome creating an imbalance. Your gut health is incredibly influential to your well-being. So many problems in the body can be traced back to an unhealthy gut biome.
4. Avoid excessive alcohol consumption – consuming too much alcohol can be detrimental to many areas of your health. For our conversation, be aware that it can wreak havoc on your gut microbiome and cause dysbiosis. This condition occurs when the bacteria that live in your gastrointestinal tract (gut) are unbalanced. Most beneficial bacteria in your body are harmed by the presence of alcohol. If you have more harmful bacteria than beneficial, your gut biome will be weakened and more susceptible to damage and disease. Be careful of how much and how often you consume alcohol. In reducing it, you will likely see improvement in not only your gut health but also other areas of your body.
5. Move your body – physical activity has countless health benefits. How does it protect your gut microbiome? Studies show that physical activity can lead to more diverse gut flora including bacteria that produce butyrate. As mentioned above, butyric acid plays a huge role in your overall health. Improved bacteria in the gut will help protect and improve your gut microbiome. Increasing physical activity in your life can be as simple as going for a walk each day. Be mindful of how much time you spend being sedentary. Get up and move, so many areas of your body, including your gut, will thank you for it!
In looking at 5 ways to protect your gut microbiome, we hope that you see the importance of diet and supplementation. Your gut biome is such a vulnerable part of your body. The connection it has to your well-being is so incredibly significant. Being conscious of how your lifestyle choices contribute to the health of the gut is essential. What you put into your body creates an internal environment that promotes good health and is free of harmful threats. A stable, healthy gut biome can lower and/or prevent and protect your body from many illnesses and diseases.